WordPress is coded in PHP. It is like PHP is the heart and soul of WordPress! This server-side scripting language, developed by Rasmus Lerdorf, came into existence in 1994. In today’s date, it powers millions of websites on the internet. A word about PHP 7 has been there in the market lately. Upgrading the PHP version of WordPress site to PHP 7 has become a talk of the town. You can hire WordPress programmers to get this done. It is plain and effortless sailing with skilled developers.
However, before reaching out to a developer, you have to prepare yourself. You must yourself know what PHP 7 is, what this upgrade would offer you, and how the upgrading process moves ahead to have an intelligent interaction with the developer later. We will cover everything in this write-up, from an overview of PHP 7 to how to upgrade your WordPress site to this version!
So now, halting the introduction here, let’s dive into the pool of information.
All That is There About PHP 7
The fifth version of PHP, i.e., PHP 5, became quite preferred and popular among people when it was released. Skipping PHP 6, the next significant release that grabbed everyone’s attention, became PHP 7, which came in 2019.
Arriving with so many added and incredible improvements, PHP 7 made people move towards it.
Some major features of PHP 7 include:
● Enhanced Performance – PHP 7 has a faster speed of performance. It doesn’t take much time to process and serve the requests and execute tasks in fewer instructions than other versions. This decreases memory usage too.
● Return and Scalar Type Declarations – Rather than PHP setting type of variable automatically, you can specify it with PHP 7. This makes type declarations provide the desired result and make code quite easily readable. It has scalar type and return type declarations to make the function work as expected.
● Error Handling – PHP 7 has error-handling, which offers utter comfort to the users. It allows you to use Throwable blocks to identify Exception and Error objects.
● Different Operators – PHP 7 has some new and different operators added to it, which are:
- Spaceship Operator
- Null Coalesce Operator
● CSPRNG Functions – CSPRNG (Cryptographically Secure Pseudorandom Number Generator) is a way of creating random data. These numbers protect your system from hackers. The system interface is put up for the generation of a random number in PHP 7 for protection.
● Anonymous Classes – PHP 7 provides anonymous classes, meaning a class without a name. Objects that are instantiated have functionality similar to objects named classes to do. It speeds up coding and execution.
Why Upgrade the Version to PHP 7?
There is no good reason not to upgrade. New versions provide improvements, and these improvements lead to better performance.
Similarly, upgrading your WordPress site to PHP 7 is necessary due to the following reasons:
● You need to upgrade for advanced security alternatives. The newer version may have something the old one doesn’t have.
● PHP 7 provides a higher load capacity to serve more users with the same hardware
● Excellent performance, optimal utilization, and resilience are added advantages of PHP 7
● Asynchronous Programming Support
● Friendly with different mobile platforms
This pretty much sums up what makes upgrading to PHP 7 the right choice. And when you decide to hire skilled WordPress coders & programmers for Updating Your WordPress Site’s PHP Version, it becomes a lot more flexible and exciting.
Mandatory WordPress Site Checks Before Upgrading to PHP 7
Before upgrading, make sure the website is appropriately checked. This is what needs to be kept in mind:
● Backup Site – Make sure to take a backup of live content before making changes. You can use plugins such as UpdraftPlus, BackUpWordPress, etc. to do the same.
● Download XAMPP – (cross-platform, Apache, MySQL, PHP, and Perl) to establish your website’s local copy
● Restoration – After WordPress installation, don’t forget to restore the backup
● Test Local Copy – Test the local copy that you created for possible errors, such as elements that stopped working, plugins, features functioning well, etc.
● Fixing the Problems – Fix the problems, if any, that you encounter while upgrading the version of your site.
How to Upgrade to PHP 7 Version?
Once checking if the site is ready for upgrading is done, then leaves the last step to do it finally.
Changes in Live Site
After filtering and testing the local site correctly, the need is to do the same in the live site. Improvements will be made on the live website to the errors that were present locally.
Upgrade to PHP 7 Finally
You have to log into the cPanel to upgrade. You will find the option to upgrade there under ‘Software/Services.’
Pick PHP 7 as your version, and you are all done!
PHP 7 promises to boost your WordPress site’s performance, security, speed, memory usage, etc. The need is to upgrade sensibly. Don’t set out to do it on your own. Gain the knowledge beforehand for your sake but get it done by a professional. If you make any mistake doing it on your own, you may lose something extremely vital to your WordPress platform.
Just hire Expert PHP Programmers skilled in WordPress and possess experience and expertise to upgrade your WordPress site to PHP 7. You wouldn’t go wrong with the decision to go towards PHP 7. It is even improving now and then with regular updates to benefit you.